In today’s post we will see how to use Power BI Content Pack for Madeira.
The content pack is preconfigured to work with sales data and financial data from the demonstration company that you get when you sign up for the Project “Madeira” preview.
To see your Project “Madeira” data in Power BI, you must have the following:
- Access to Project “Madeira”.
- Access to Power BI.
Before we start with connecting we will collect few information that we will require while connecting the Power BI to fetch data from Madeira.
Web Service Acess Key
Note down both value, if you don’t have Web Service Access Key Generate one and set appropriate Expiration date or Set Never Expire as shown below.
Next open the Web Service Page.
Make sure all selected Web Service is running as in below screen.
The data is extracted from your Project “Madeira” company using web services to read live data. In Project “Madeira”, the Web Services window lists the web services that have been set up for you, including the following that are consumed by the content pack in Power BI:
Note: If you change the name of any of these web services, the data will not show up in Power BI.
Note your URL of OData. Edit it to follow the format one shown in below screen.
Now we have all our required information.
Open Power BI site and Get Data from Services as shown in below screen.
Select Project “Madeira” Content Pack and click on Get.
Enter the URL of Web Service we get in above step.
Select Authentication method as Basic.
In User Name enter your user name as obtained in above step.
For Password ented the Web Service Access Key as obtained in above step.
Choose Sign In.
After few minutes/seconds churning you will be ready with your first Dashboard from Madeira.
“Parameter validation failed, please make sure all parameters are valid”
If you see this error after you enter your Project “Madeira” URL, make sure the following requirements are satisfied:
- The URL follows exactly this pattern:
- Delete any text after the company name in parenthesis
- Make sure there are no trailing forward slash at the end of the URL.
- Make sure that it is a secure connection as indicated by the URL starting with https.
If you get a “login failed” error when you log in to the dashboard, using your Project “Madeira” credentials, then this can be caused by one of the following issues:
- The account you are using does not have permissions to read the Project “Madeira” data from your account.
Verify your user account in Project “Madeira”, and make sure that you have used the right web service access key as the password, and then try again.
- The Project “Madeira” instance that you are trying to connect to does not have a valid SSL certificate. In this case you’ll see a more detailed error message (“unable to establish trusted SSL relationship”).
Note: Self-signed certificates are not supported.
If you see an “Oops” error dialog after you pass the authentication dialog, this is most frequently caused by a problem connecting to the data for the content pack.
- Verify that the URL follows the pattern that was specified earlier:
- A common mistake is to specify the full URL for a specific web service:
- Or you might have forgotten to specify the company name:
Thats all for today’s post.
I will comeup with more details in my upcomming posts.
Til then keep exploring and learning.