Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 introduces a new way of running the data upgrade logic that migrates data from the old table structure of an earlier Microsoft Dynamics NAV version to the new table structure of the current version.
The data upgrade process is now prepared and run with the help of new type of codeunit called the upgrade codeunit. The data upgrade process has been enhanced significantly to optimize the performance and provide developers with a superior tool for testing, automating, tracking progress and troubleshooting the data upgrade code. The new data upgrade approach has the following benefits and features:
- Simplifies the upgrade environment because all steps are performed by the latest version of the Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
- Increases the data upgrade performance because it is possible to run upgrade functions of upgrade codeunits in parallel (at the same time) and across companies.
- Reduces the amount of code that is required to handle the data upgrade because several operations are now executed automatically by Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server.
- Minimizes the number of manual actions that must be performed during the data upgrade, which makes the data upgrade process less error-prone.
- Uses familiar upgrade toolkit design concepts, such as upgrade tables and upgrade functions.
- Includes end-to-end sample Windows PowerShell scripts that perform a complete data upgrade.
Please check my earlier post on this topic for more detailed information.